Key Stakeholder Feedback and Future Trends
In order to develop our plan, we asked for input from our customers, employees, partner local governments, operating company staff, and other stakeholders. There were some common themes to their responses.
In identifying our strengths, our employees, partners and customers see BC Transit as:
- A provider of a valuable service with many benefits;
- An innovative, friendly, customer-oriented workplace that offers good compensation, flexibility, and opportunities for growth; and
- A responsive and community-oriented partner that provides its greatest value through its shared access to funding, expertise, and cost-effective solutions.
They recommend that key improvements should include:
- Continued improvement to the frequency, reliability, and simplicity of transit services;
- Multi-year, predictable budgets;
- Better communication and information sharing;
- Clarified roles, responsibilities, and expectations;
- Improved decision-making transparency and participation; and
- Increased local presence and leadership by BC Transit.
Key future trends that will impact transit:
- An aging and growing population that will affect the types of services we offer, who uses them, and our ability to staff and fund them as a result of fewer people in the work force;
- Less predictable energy, economic, and climate situations that will affect the demand and costs for our services, the need to adapt and innovate, and available revenue; and
- Increased public expectations and technological opportunities that will allow us to make taking transit even easier but that will have a cost.
In our vision for the future, successful transit should be:
- Fast, reliable, and accessible;
- Easy to use through technology and design;
- Integrated with key destinations, regional hubs, and other types of travel, like walking and cycling;
- Inviting—safe, clean, and accessible to all;
- Responsive—engaging customers and communities in its evolution;
- Cost-effective—affordable and using resources efficiently; and
- Positive—part of a healthy, socially responsible lifestyle.