Transit Future in the Regional District of Nanaimo
In 2014, the Regional District of Nanaimo Transit Future Plan was completed. This plan provides a vision for improving the region's transit network over the next 25 years by:
- Supporting local community goals and objectives, including:
- the need to grow economic vitality
- preserve our green integrity and;
- develop liveable neighbourhoods that demonstrate the integration of all sustainable modes of transportation.
- Strengthening the link between transportation and land-use in order to achieve sustainable growth and development, promoting community resiliency.
- Identifying a Transit Future Network that includes four layers of transit service tailoring transit to regional and local community needs:
- Rapid Transit
- Frequent Transit
- Local Transit
- Targeted Service
Local Area Transit Plans - How to get involved
The Local Area Transit Plans are being developed to determine transit service and infrastructure priorities within specific areas of the Nanaimo region. These plans will support the goals and objectives identified in the Regional District of Nanaimo Transit Future Plan.