To be considered for employment as a Transit Operator, applications must meet the following minimum qualifications:
- Willing and able to work shifts (both straight and split shifts) anytime within BC Transit’s operating hours (22 hours each day with shifts beginning as early as 4am and ending as late as 2:45am) with non-traditional and sometimes undefined breaks. All shifts and work adhere to National Safety Code standards.
- Clearly demonstrated customer service skill set including conflict resolution, problem solving and sound decision-making.
- 2 years’ non-learners driving experience if not a current commercial licence holder.
- 5 years’ Claims Experience Summary dated within the past 14 days with no more than 1 at-fault claim in the past 5 years. Preference will be given to those with a clear Summary.
- National (N) and Provincial (P) driver’s abstracts, each dated within the past 14 days indicating safe and responsible vehicle operation over the past 5 years with no more than 4 points in the past 5 years and no more than 1 violation in the past 5 years. Preference will be given to those with a clear driving background.
- Minimum valid BC Class 5 driver's licence or out of province equivalent. Class 1 or 2 also accepted. For non-commercial licence holders: your Class 2 Learners Licence will be required for first day of employment (cost for a Class 2 Learners Licence is $15. For more information on how to obtain a Class 2 Learners from ICBC please click here.
- Ability to pass a comprehensive ICBC medical examination relating to the Motor Vehicle Act requirement for a Class 2 driver’s licence and capable of, after on-the-job training, holding a Class 2 driver’s licence.
- No criminal convictions or pending charges relating directly to the Transit Operator position.
- Ability to understand, speak and write English in order to comprehend BC Transit policies, effectively communicate with the traveling public and report on incidents involving safety and/or service.
- A good knowledge of the Greater Victoria area is an asset.