Transit Future in Squamish
Project Update – November 2017
The District of Squamish and BC Transit sought feedback on proposed 2018 transit expansions, as well as prioritizing long-term transit expansion opportunities.
The Sea to Sky Transit Future Plan, completed in 2015, envisions the transit network for Squamish long-term and describes the services, infrastructure and investments needed to get there. Proposed 2018 changes include:
- Additional handyDART service
- New summer service connecting Squamish to South Squamish Parks
- A new route, providing hourly weekday service to Quest University from Downtown Squamish and Garibaldi Village
- Changes to the 1 Brackendale, 2 Highlands and 4 Tantalus routes
In November, we hosted three open house events and conducted an online survey about these service changes.
What is Transit Future?
Transit Future is all about you, your transit system and your community. Developed with your input, these plans outline what your transit system will look like in the future. Depending on the community and its specific needs, a plan can take a variety of different forms.
Learn more about the different types of Transit Future Plans here. By being part of the development of a Transit Future Plan, you are helping to improve transit for yourself and for your entire community. So get involved, share your input, and be a part of shaping your transit system now and for the generation to come.
Why do we need Transit Future?
Transit Future guides transit investment that is supportive of livable communities, through:
- Offering more transportation choice
- Supporting smart land use plans that focus on walking, cycling and transit
- Meeting climate change goals
- Making it easy to access everyday services on foot, by bike and by transit
Help us Plan Your Future
Population and traffic growth means we need to shift our focus from moving cars to moving people. To minimize the high economic, environmental and social costs of traffic congestion and road expansion, we must move people more efficiently. Transportation should take us where we want to go, when we want to go there. To create an efficient system, we need your input.
How do I get involved?
All stages of the creation and implementation of a Transit Future Plan provide opportunities to get involved. Check back here often for information on how to share your input!