Book a Trip
You can book, confirm and cancel most of your handyDART trips by phone or with an on-line computer. You must first register with handyDART to access these options.
handyLINE: Touch-tone Phone Booking
With handyLINE, you have 24 hour a day access to handyDART booking services.
A customer service agent will give you a client identification number and a PIN number to access the system. The agent will help you identify up to eight of your most regular handyDART destinations. You will need to provide the name, address and phone number (if applicable) for each location. Once your destinations are in handyLINE, you can easily book trips to these locations yourself.
handyWEB: Web Booking
Once you are enrolled with the handyLINE service, you can visit the website to book your trips: www.handydart.com
Types of Trips
Subscription trips are scheduled once a week or more at the same location and time for an extended period. An example would be a biweekly physical therapy appointment. To request this service, you must contact handyDART to check availability. Subscription trips are cancelled on holidays. Renal patients should check with the hospital and handyDART for holiday service. You must contact handyDART if you need to keep a trip on a holiday.
Reservation trips are one time or occasional trips. These trips are scheduled on a first-to-call basis. You need to book a trip in advance of the date required but no more than 14 days in advance.
Booking Check List
When you book a trip, please have this information ready:
- Your name
- The day, date and time you need to travel
- Identify if you have an attendant or companion or an assistance animal
- Your pick-up address - street name and number
- Your drop-off address - street name and number and phone number if available
- Your appointment time
- Any special instructions (e.g. side door)
- Type of mobility aid you will be using (wheelchair, walker, etc.)
When your Ride Comes
When you book a trip, you will be given a 20-30 minute pick-up window.
You should be ready to go to your pick-up location at the beginning of your pick-up window.
Example: For a 9:00 a.m.–9:30 a.m. pick-up window, you should be ready at 9:00 a.m.
handyDART may send a taxi rather than a handyDART vehicle. If this happens, you pay a regular handyDART fare. You are not required to pay the fare on the meter nor tip the driver.
You are expected to do the following:
- Ask for the assistance you require from the driver, e.g., to take your arm or push your wheelchair
- Be at the pick-up location at the start of your pick-up window
- Carry your own parcels – a maximum of two parcels carried on your lap
- Cancel trips a minimum of two hours ahead of pick-up time
Cancelling a Trip
handyDART resources are limited and always in demand. If you must cancel a trip, it is important that you call the handyDART office as soon as you can. By cancelling as far in advance as possible, you help us improve service to all our passengers.
This section outlines how to book a trip. You must first register with handyDART before booking a trip.