Victoria Transit Future Plan
The Victoria Region Transit Future Plan was completed in 2011 as a long term 25 year plan and is used as a guiding principal to this day. The Transit Future Plan includes a review of existing transit services, regional and local land use plans, travel data, demographic projections and travel demand forecasts.
This plan provides a vision for improving the region’s transit network over the course of 25 years by:
- Supporting local community goals and objectives, including:
- The need to grow economic vitality
- Preserve our green integrity and
- Develop livable neighborhoods that demonstrate the integration of all sustainable modes of transportation
- Strengthening the link between transportation and land-use in order to achieve sustainable growth and development, promoting community resiliency.
- Identifying a Transit Future Network that includes four layers of transit service to tailor transit to regional and local community needs:
- Rapid transit
- Frequent transit
- Local transit
- Targeted services
How is the Transit Future Plan being implemented?
Goals for Future Transit
- Transit is an attractive alternative to the private vehicle
- Fast and direct
- Convenient and reliable
- Easy to use
- Accessible to everyone
- The transit system reduces our impact on the environment
- Support a sustainable urban form
- Support a sustainable transportation network
- Investigate new vehicle technologies
- The transit system is efficient
- Maximize ridership for the amount of resources used
- Match transit services levels to demand
- Match transit vehicles to demand
Why do we need Transit Future Plans?
This Transit Future Plan will plan guide transit investment that is supportive of livable communities, through:
- Identifying short-term projects (one to five years) to assist local partners in developing local capital and operating budgets
- Supporting local community goals and objectives, such as strengthening the link between transportation and land-use in order to support sustainable growth
- Develop Service Standards and Performance Guidelines which will assist in future decision-making processes
- Meeting climate change goals
- Making it easy to access everyday services on foot, by bike and by transit
Join the Voice of the Rider Panel and contibute your ideas! By being a key participant in the development of the Victoria Transit System, you will help to improve transit for yourself and for your entire community. So get involved, share your input, and be a part of shaping your transit system now and for the generation to come.