Victoria Transit Future Plan
In 2011, the Victoria Region Transit Future Plan was completed. The Transit Future Plan includes a review of existing transit services, regional and local land use plans, travel data, demographic projections and travel demand forecasts.
This plan provides a vision for improving the region’s transit network over the next 25 years by:
- Supporting local community goals and objectives, including:
- The need to grow economic vitality
- Preserve our green integrity and
- Develop livable neighborhoods that demonstrate the integration of all sustainable modes of transportation
- Strengthening the link between transportation and land-use in order to achieve sustainable growth and development, promoting community resiliency.
- Identifying a Transit Future Network that includes four layers of transit service to tailor transit to regional and local community needs:
- Rapid transit
- Frequent transit
- Local transit
- Targeted services
How is the Transit Future Plan being implemented?
Goals for Future Transit
- Transit is an attractive alternative to the private vehicle
- Fast and direct
- Convenient and reliable
- Easy to use
- Accessible to everyone
- The transit system reduces our impact on the environment
- Support a sustainable urban form
- Support a sustainable transportation network
- Investigate new vehicle technologies
- The transit system is efficient
- Maximize ridership for the amount of resources used
- Match transit services levels to demand
- Match transit vehicles to demand
Why do we need Transit Future Plans?
This Transit Future Plan will plan guide transit investment that is supportive of livable communities, through:
- Identifying short-term projects (one to five years) to assist local partners in developing local capital and operating budgets
- Supporting local community goals and objectives, such as strengthening the link between transportation and land-use in order to support sustainable growth
- Develop Service Standards and Performance Guidelines which will assist in future decision-making processes
- Meeting climate change goals
- Making it easy to access everyday services on foot, by bike and by transit
By being part of the development of a Transit Future Plan, you are helping to improve transit for yourself and for your entire community. So get involved, share your input, and be a part of shaping your transit system now and for the generation to come.