Kootenay Lake West, Castlegar & Nelson Transit Future Service Plan
The West Kootenay & Nelson Transit Future Service Plan outlines improvements for transit service (routes and schedules), and infrastructure over the next 3- 7 years in the Nelson Transit System and the West Kootenay Regional Transit System
Priorities and Goals of the Kootenay Lake West (KLW), Castlegar and Nelson Transit Future Service Plan
The goal of this plan is to inform future service-making decisions for KLW, Castlegar and Area and City of Nelson by updating applicable transit priorities identified in the Central Kootenay Service Review (2011), West Kootenay Master Plan (2012), and Nelson and Area Transit Recommendations (2012). The plan will:
- Itemize progress on previous priorities to date
- Review and refresh transit service and infrastructure priorities based on:
- Current and planned growth of post-secondary programs
- New or planned medium and high density developments
- Other community trends influencing transit demand
- Build on relevant transportation plans and policies to align with local government plans
- Prepare guidelines and monitoring tools
Area Included in this Plan
- This plan is specifically for the routes operated by the Kootenay Lake West Transit System and City of Nelson Transit.
This process allows us to develop service options with targeted stakeholders who represent different interests and community members across the KLW service area, Castlegar and Nelson areas. These options will form the basis for concepts presented in open houses to general public for review and refinement. Once completed, the plan will be presented for endorsement by the Regional District of Central Kootenay Board and the City of Nelson Council. Following local government endorsement, BC Transit will start to update three year plans to begin to implement changes to improve the transit system.
Are you a transit rider? In addition to key community stakeholders, BC Transit is interested in having everyday transit riders participate in the service options workshop. To express interest please email: